Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Vegan Diaries, Day 26: Barack-O-Rama

Saturday was a whirlwind day devoted to all things Obama. From 10 am to 6 pm, I was helping make 100,000 calls to voters throughout all of California. I called 27 people... just a hair shy of the 100,000 mark. But California overall did reach its 100,000 call goal, thus setting a new world record for making the most annoying political calls in one day.

I was concerned that the Seven Deadly Sins of Veganism might be present at the phone banking party: fried chicken, doughnuts, pizza, cheese, more pizza, cake, and ice cream. However, someone must have been looking out for me, because almost every consumable present at the party was vegan-safe. There were tangerines, nuts, chips and salsa, carrots, and V8 juice. I couldn't believe it. I downed two cups of V8 and gorged myself on nuts the entire time, then made a few peanut butter sandwiches from supplies I smuggled in. Another vegan crisis averted.

That evening, I attended an Obama party to celebrate his big win in South Carolina. It had a Mardi Gras theme, which concerned me as well since most food for Mardi Gras contains some sort of animal product in it. I happened to find some circles that had been punched out of the centers of slices of bread... they looked pretty safe. One lady got mad that I wasn't eating more, so I told her my dilemma. She then pointed out a plate of sandwiches that were vegan-friendly, containing hummus, carrots, cabbage, and some other unidentifiable stuff. So I took her word for it and loaded up on several of those along with a few beers.

I don't know how the other candidates' parties fare for vegans, but Obama certainly gets my vegan vote.

No comments: