Monday, January 21, 2008

The Vegan Diaries, Day 21: Wardrobe Malfunction

My pants are starting to fall off.

This is not good.

I obviously didn't get enough calories in me these past few days while running around Nevada helping with the Obama campaign. Now I'm starting to look like this guy... minus the banjo, of course. Well, maybe I should look on the bright side... with my pants dragging off of my ass, maybe I'll fit in with all the kids now days.

I better start getting more food in me or I'll fade away like Karen Carpenter. This is exactly what I didn't want to happen with this vegan experiment, and it's happening. I figured with all the carbs I was eating from fruits and breads, I would have actually gained weight. That Dr. Atkins didn't know what he was talking about.

My friend Jennifer felt sorry for me tonight and cooked me a vegan meal consisting of a vegan chicken sandwich and some beans, which were both very delicious. But now I'm hungry again, so I'm going to go forage around in the kitchen and load up on peanut butter. I feel like a cow all the time now, having to graze on food every hour or so. I was not expecting any of this from going vegan.

Well, maybe this "Omnivore's Dilemma" book will shed some light on my situation. I made it through the introduction today, and then skipped straight to the wine drinking. It sounds like it'll be an interesting read, but hopefully it won't scare the crap out of me like that "Fast Food Nation" book did a few years back. I don't like these food paranoia books. When did food become so deadly all of a sudden? I bet it has something to do with 9/11 and the terrorists.

All these books on what I'm supposed to eat remind me of the nutritional programs I had to watch in school as a kid... especially those featuring Slim Goodbody, running around naked in his flesh-colored leotard showing all of his internal body organs to the world. He was quite creepy, and it probably scarred me for life. But he taught me all about the Food Pyramid. If it takes a guy with an afro singing songs about his guts to teach me about proper nutrition, then I guess it was worth it.

No comments: