Friday, January 11, 2008

The Vegan Diaries, Day 11: Leftovers...and Over...and Over

Today I realized that my refrigerator was suddenly filled with too many leftovers from past vegan experiments, so I had to do some house cleaning. So for lunch, it was stir fry and rice, and for dinner it was shepherd's pie. I found out that if I add enough ketchup, this shepherd's pie is actually quite outstanding!

As I've mentioned in previous postings, cooking vegan takes extra time out of your day. But if you cook a whole bunch of food on a Saturday or Sunday, you can have leftovers to last you the entire work week, thus saving you time. Just like working out at the gym, if you want to be successful as a vegan, you need to establish a schedule so you get in the routine of cooking healthy food on a weekly basis. And once you're in the vegan groove, it's really not that hard to maintain.

For breakfast this morning, I did try out a new cereal. This one's made by Kashi, and it has these two multi-ethnic women smiling happily on the front. I mean, they are REALLY smiling, and their teeth are so pearly white that I can only assume that this cereal must contain heavy doses of fluoride. The cereal is called "Good Friends," but with smiles that happy, I'm thinking that these women are a little more than just "good friends," if you know what I mean. I'm surprised one of them isn't smoking away lustfully on a cigarette. They SURELY can't be beaming happy over the fact that this cereal contains "nearly 33% of your daily FIBER needs." If they are, then they truly need to seek some therapy.

I've also started drinking decaffeinated tea right before I go to bed, which is something else I've never done before. I really don't know if this helps health wise, but I always figured it'd be something different to try out. When I was over in Italy, I would have tea in the evenings with some of the British girls I met. They turned it into a social occasion and really talked the trash about people. British girls have some of the filthiest mouths I've ever heard... they could make an entire battleship of sailors blush. But I love 'em for it.

No comments: