Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Vegan Diaries, Day 23: Vegan Omnibus

I came across this video today that sums up my thoughts exactly about veganism. Definitely check it out.

I also came across two subsets of vegan culture that I'd never heard of before: fruitarians and raw foodists. Fruitarians will not eat plants that end up being destroyed if they are consumed. For example, eating an apple is acceptable because the apple tree isn't destroyed, but eating an onion is unacceptable since you have to destroy the entire onion plant to eat it. And then there are raw foodists who (surprise!) only eat raw food. They forbid cooking since it removes many of the natural enzymes.

Personally, I think going vegan is extreme enough. Why make eating even more difficult for yourself? Besides, do you really want to tell people you're a "fruitarian" or "raw foodist?" You might as well hang a big "Kick Me" sign around your neck.

This morning, I tried some Rice Milk on my Weetabix for the first time. It wasn't my favorite, but it's not terrible. It's like drinking slightly sweetened water that has the same cloudy appearance as skim milk. Now I'm starting to wonder if there's anything they CAN'T extract milk from. What's next? Corn milk? (Please don't tell me there IS a corn milk. I think I might die.)

I also cooked raw beets for the first time tonight. I kept thinking my hands were bleeding while cutting them, but it was just the beet juice staining everything. I made a Harvard Beet recipe by adding vinegar, sugar, and some raisins, and they turned out really good. People have warned me that I'll be peeing pink now since I ate some beets. Wow... veganism doesn't get any more exciting than that.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

you are right about the pee - kind of freaky, but you'll get over it.

ps: i wish your name was steven... i could totally picture you doing something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMpHF2a-IJY

Brian Martin said...

That, my friend, is a brilliant video! Thank you for sharing. Too bad I couldn't have watched that one on "Depressing Vegan Film Night."