Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The Vegan Diaries, Day 22: Hungry for Change

I've finally figured out my problem.

Barack Obama is making me skinny.

It seems like anytime I try to help the guy out with his campaign, I end up not eating. Tonight, I had to rush over to Obama Headquarters because there was someone from the local television station filming us making phone calls. I didn't have time to eat a big meal, so I brought some dried fruit and a new item I wanted to try: soy yogurt. I was quite pleased with Trader Joe's strawberry soy yogurt... it tasted very close to regular dairy yogurt. However, it wasn't nearly enough to keep me filled, so when I came home tonight, I force-fed myself beans and spaghetti to stay alive.

I'm OK now. I don't think I'll die.

GRITS UPDATE! Today I had the official "Grits-Off" to see which brand of grits was the hands-down winner. I first tried Trader Joe's Grits, which suspiciously came precooked in a tube, similar to how sausage and hamburger meat are packaged. I squeezed it out into a bowl, but it was so congealed that it wouldn't flatten out, even after chopping it up and heating it in the microwave. Grits should be slightly on the runny side, not solid slabs of white rubbery goo. It affected its taste, which was average at best.

I then tried the generic store brand version of grits that I purchased at WinCo. I made it the traditional way by cooking it over the stove, and boy howdy, it made all the difference. They were spectacular! Which goes to show you that you can't always improve on how some foods are made. Sometimes you just have to do things the old fashioned way.

2 comments:

Berta Roebuck said...

Hey Brian, I came across this web site and thought it might interest you... http://www.peta.org/accidentallyVegan/

Brian Martin said...

Thanks, Roberta! That's a great site. Looking at this, though, I've realized that I've been a little more hardcore with the vegan lifestyle. I've tried to eliminate prepackaged processed foods and stick primarily to whole foods. Just looking at the lady in her sea of packages disturbs me a little, because even though they're vegan, most aren't the healthiest things to be putting into your body. Like Cap'n Crunch's Peanut Butter Crunch. I remember when Consumer Reports ranked that cereal as the worst of the worst. I vowed never to touch that stuff again.