Monday, January 14, 2008

The Vegan Diaries, Day 14: Vegan Surprise

Today started out on the wrong foot. I tried something new out for breakfast—corn grits. Now, I like my grits like any other Southerner out there. And I was looking forward to eating these grits for over a week now. But the grits I had this morning were very un-grit worthy. I've been to several stores in Chico and was only able to find grits in the bulk foods aisle. And they were YELLOW corn grits and not the white ones which used to. Hoo-boy. It was quite an ordeal eating these gag-inducing grits, even despite the amount of vegan butter I dumped into them. Guess I should've added ketchup.

The rest of the day didn't get any better. It was more leftovers to finish off, and I felt all spacey in the head while running in the park today, which makes me think I'm still not getting enough calories in me. I think I need a bean I.V. hooked up to my arm at all times.

But everything changed tonight at the Grocery Outlet, the last place I would expect a miracle. The Grocery Outlet is the cheapest supermarket in town. Most of their food is questionable and has expiration dates going back a few years, but every now and then you'll find that diamond in the rough that you just can't believe is there. I found my diamond in the frozen food aisle. There it was, right in front of me: soy ice cream! Oh, how I've been craving ice cream for two weeks now! And they actually had a non-ice cream ice cream that I could eat! For dirt cheap! Oh, hallelujah!

I took home a pint of "It's Soy Delicious" (yes, that's the unbelievably gay name of this product) Vanilla Fudge Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert and put it through the rigors of my own personal Consumer Reports testing. For smoothness, it gets an "Excellent." For smell, it receives another "Excellent." But for taste, however, it only gets an "Average." As a soy dessert, it's probably not bad, but it just can't compete with the real thing. You can bet your money that on Day 31 when the experiment is officially over, you'll find me binge eating milkshakes all day.

3 comments:

Berta Roebuck said...

I always buy my grits by the box in the hot cereal section at Winco. Do they not carry it anymore? How sad!

J. Varon said...

Do you really EAT milkshakes? I'd say on Day 31 you are going to binge drink milkshakes.

=)

Brian Martin said...

The hot cereal section at Winco is devoid of grits. If this was the South, there'd be an entire aisle devoted to them. And yes, I EAT my milkshakes...with a SPOON, thank you very much. I've never known anyone to drink a DQ Blizzard before... at least not successfully.