Monday, November 26, 2007

The Wearing of the Green


When you live a greener lifestyle, it starts affecting areas of your life that you never really put much thought into. For me, clothing was one of those areas. If I needed a new shirt or pair of jeans, I'd just swing by Old Navy or The Gap like everyone else and just buy something new, never really considering how my clothing was made or how it came to reach me.

But ever since the Green Festival, I'm now on a mission to end my dependence upon buying new clothes made cheaply in third world countries. It almost seems like an impossible task since most everything these days is made in either China, Malaysia, or India. The most obvious solution to this clothing crisis is to give up clothing completely and to just become a nudist. However, with winter fast approaching and the likelihood of me moving back to Chicago becoming ever greater, I don't think nudism is a viable option.

Another solution is to buy clothing that is made locally. You have to look harder to find clothing brands like this, but they are around. Quite a few businesses in California make clothing out of hemp, which is a much more environmentally friendly option than using cotton or synthetic materials. At $50 a pop for a hemp shirt, though, the thought of going buck naked suddenly seems a lot more reasonable.

So what's a poor environmentalist supposed to do to get some greener threads? The answer: hit the thrift stores. Many thrift stores run by organizations such as The Salvation Army or Goodwill get a bad rap, because people automatically assume that only bums would shop there. Yes, there are lots of nasty clothes found in thrift stores that even I wouldn't want to touch with a ten-foot pole. But every now and then if you're lucky, you'll find some great stuff that will make even your most bourgeois friends jealous.

For example, today I stopped by the Salvation Army in Clemson, South Carolina to see if I could find any needles-in-a-haystack. At first, it looked like it was going to be a bust. But then my eyes fell upon a thing of pure beauty: a Red Sox T-shirt in perfect condition... for only $2! I couldn't believe my luck! But don't you worry, Cubbie fans. I also found a Cubs shirt for $2 that I nabbed. So not only did I manage to reuse "old" clothing and donate money to a good cause, but I also found a way to support my teams during next year's baseball season! Greener living never felt so good!

No comments: