Saturday, October 27, 2007

My Love Affair with Farmers Markets


One of the best parts about living in a community like Chico is the easy access that you have to locally-grown produce. Every Saturday morning, farmers will gather in the parking lot beside City Hall to sell their fruits, vegetables and honey, while local vendors will sell anything from handmade clothing to fresh bread. It attracts a wide variety of folks: from the young professionals pushing their children around in strollers...to students still waking up from a late night of partying...to aging hippies still fighting for peace and justice. It's one of the best places to reconnect with people you haven't seen in a while, and it's always a fun place to do some people watching.

I rode my bike over to the Farmers Market this afternoon and caught it right as they were starting to shut down. As usual, I bought some fresh green beans and tomatoes, but this time I brought my own plastic grocery bags for the vendors to fill. Over the past few months, I noticed that I was accumulating quite a few plastic bags from my previous trips to the Farmers Market, so today I finally decided to break that habit. There's no better feeling than knowing that I placed absolutely no harmful impact on the environment today, and at the same time I helped support local farmers. And nothing in this world beats the taste of a homegrown tomato! Mmmm boy! Now that's a good tomato!

No comments: