Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Green Halloween


Halloween's always been one of my favorite holidays. Little did I know that you can also go green with this holiday by doing some simple things, such as:
  • Buying fair-trade candy that uses little packaging
  • Using a pillow case or cloth bag to collect candy
  • Creating a costume from clothing found at thrift stores
  • Using beeswax or soy candles instead of petroleum-based paraffin
  • Composting your old jack-o-lanterns
You can find these tips and more by going to both The Sierra Club and The Green Guide websites.

I thought about going green this year and giving out healthy vegan bran muffins to all the kids coming to my door. But I don't think kids are ready for that, and I'm really not ready to have my car egged by hundreds of pissed-off Trick-or-Treaters. So I just kept the compact fluorescent porch bulb turned off this year, thus saving on energy consumption. I guess it was a green Halloween after all.

No comments: